1. Education

Andrew Zimmerman Jones

Steven Chu Presents Merits of Scientific Thinking

By February 3, 2013

Steven Chu, Secretary of Education and Nobel Prize winnerOn Friday, Feb. 1, Dr. Steven Chu announced that he would not be continuing as U.S. Secretary of Energy for a second term under President Barack Obama. I don't normally follow how these things work, but from what I gather it normally involves a pro forma letter written announcing the intention not to serve a second term. Chu ended up writing a 3,781 word term paper discussing his successes and failures as Energy Secretary and also outlining his vision for where American energy policy needs to head.

If you're interested, you can either read the complete letter on the DoE website or a recap of the major points, but I'd like to focus on Chu's opening remarks, which emphasize the way scientific ideas are judged:

I've always been inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, who articulated his Dream of an America where people are judged not by skin color but "by the content of their character." In the scientific world, people are judged by the content of their ideas. Advances are made with new insights, but the final arbitrator of any point of view are experiments that seek the unbiased truth, not information cherry picked to support a particular point of view. The power of our work is derived from this foundation.

...

I have worked each day to move the Department in a direction where the political leadership and highest levels of career managers have the intellectual curiosity and wisdom to learn from the people who reported to them and where the subject matter experts - which should include managers at the highest levels - as well as employees at our national laboratories welcome their counsel and help. I grew up and matured in organizations where a graduate student or staff scientist could have a discussion with a company department head, a professor, a national lab director and be heard, not because of their rank in the organization, but because of the quality of their ideas.

Though Chu has been under a lot of political criticism for his stance on climate change and his belief in embracing shifts to alternative energy - a stance that he defends throughout his letter - it is my hope that this vision of following good scientific ideas and listening to the subject matter experts will be one that continues to be embraced by the Department of Energy in the years to come.

Comments

February 4, 2013 at 8:54 am
(1) D. R. Pitzer says:

Scientific thinking does not necessarily equate to proper economic thinking in Dr. Chu’s case. Case in point: Solyndra.

February 4, 2013 at 11:44 am
(2) john says:

Where Dr. Chu would indicate the difficulty is in the public or government accepting facts and embracing scientific progress, there are those who see using a central authority to direct research and technology as not only a hindrance, in the long run, but also as oppressive.
He may be a fine scientist, but his wishes for where that leads, regarding government, is a highly Orwellian place.

February 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(3) Jules Le Bon says:

Dr. Chu’s ideas are sound, but it is unrealistic to expect them to receive anything more than lip service in a political environment. The problem is that what is in the best interest (personal and ideological) of the employees, the president and congress, is often not in the best interest of those who hired them, the rest of us. That does not mean that a polictical decision is necessarily wrong, but it does mean the the incentives are wrong.

February 18, 2013 at 12:40 pm
(4) nick says:

I like a saying from Prof. Kaku:
What politicians and economists try to do is to split the pie in the best way. What scientists have done and promise to do is to make a bigger pie.

February 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(5) jack says:

Нeya i am foг the first time here. I camе acгоss
this board аnԁ ӏ to find It
really useful & it helped mе out much.
I’m hoping to offer one thing back and aid others like you helped me.

Feel free to visit my site: jack

February 26, 2013 at 6:44 am
(6) xbox 360 red rings says:

Heya outstanding blog! Does running a blog like this take
a large amount of work? I’ve absolutely no understanding of coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, should you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject however I simply had to ask. Thanks!

March 7, 2013 at 3:06 am
(7) Immigration Solicitors in Bromley says:

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on
a daily basis. It’s always useful to read through content from other authors and practice something from other web sites.

March 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm
(8) christian louboutin outlet says:

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your blog.
Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems?
A number of my blog visitors have complained about my site not
operating correctly in Explorer but looks
great in Firefox. Do you have any advice to help fix this issue?

March 13, 2013 at 5:20 am
(9) plug & play says:

Excellent blog you’ve got here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality
writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you!
Take care!!

March 16, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(10) outdoor furniture says:

many people Suppose that wooden Hither are some tips and tricks to picking from the Groovy garden furniture sets
on the market place and deciding which is the Best one for your garden.

June 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm
(11) hairless men hair removal says:

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.

I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.

August 16, 2013 at 6:58 pm
(12) nose hair removal wax men says:

I get pleasure from, lead to I found just what I used
to be looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

March 20, 2014 at 2:09 am
(13) roller shutter garage door says:

It acts immediately on all your garage concerns as quickly as possible.

In either case the hinge that holds the roller from the
door panels must be removed to make the necessary door repair.

These tend to be the noisiest of doors so bear this in mind if
you have a bedroom above and need to use the door
when people may be sleeping.